Mangalore crash: Regular hearings on compensation
New Delhi: The government has decided to
fast-track the resolution of disputes over compensation to the
families of the Mangalore air crash victims by holding regular
hearings on their appeals.
At a meeting chaired by Civil Aviation Minister Vayalar
Ravi, top officials of the ministry and Air India decided to
hold regular hearings to resolve the appeals for compensation
following the August 25 Kerala High Court order that set aside
a single judge order directing the airline to pay a minimum
compensation of Rs 75 lakh each to the affected families.
158 people onboard Air India Express Flight 812 from
Dubai were killed on May 22, 2010, when the Boeing 737-800
overshot the Mangalore runway on landing, fell over a cliff
and caught fire, spreading wreckage across the surrounding
hillside. Only eight passengers survived with injuries.
Air India and its attorneys would hold regular hearings
to expedite the claim cases of 83 affected families, official
sources said, adding that these hearings would be held in an
The claims of 75 victims` next of kin have already been
settled, they said.
A division bench of the Kerala High Court had held that
Air India was liable to pay only actual damages proved by the
claimants in case of death and the victims in case of injury.
Maintaining that unnecessary litigation be avoided, the
bench had said the liability can be determined through
negotiated settlement or by civil court of competitive
jurisdiction, while allowing an appeal filed by Air India.
If no settlement is possible, actual damages can be
determined by the civil court, the bench had observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened