Mangalore crash: Regular hearings on compensation
New Delhi: The government has decided to
fast-track the resolution of disputes over compensation to the
families of the Mangalore air crash victims by holding regular
hearings on their appeals.
At a meeting chaired by Civil Aviation Minister Vayalar
Ravi, top officials of the ministry and Air India decided to
hold regular hearings to resolve the appeals for compensation
following the August 25 Kerala High Court order that set aside
a single judge order directing the airline to pay a minimum
compensation of Rs 75 lakh each to the affected families.
158 people onboard Air India Express Flight 812 from
Dubai were killed on May 22, 2010, when the Boeing 737-800
overshot the Mangalore runway on landing, fell over a cliff
and caught fire, spreading wreckage across the surrounding
hillside. Only eight passengers survived with injuries.
Air India and its attorneys would hold regular hearings
to expedite the claim cases of 83 affected families, official
sources said, adding that these hearings would be held in an
The claims of 75 victims` next of kin have already been
settled, they said.
A division bench of the Kerala High Court had held that
Air India was liable to pay only actual damages proved by the
claimants in case of death and the victims in case of injury.
Maintaining that unnecessary litigation be avoided, the
bench had said the liability can be determined through
negotiated settlement or by civil court of competitive
jurisdiction, while allowing an appeal filed by Air India.
If no settlement is possible, actual damages can be
determined by the civil court, the bench had observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees