Manmohan meets Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao
Phnom Penh: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao Monday met one-on-one for about 45 minutes in this Cambodian capital, probably one of their last official meetings.
The two leaders discussed a gamut of regional and bilateral issues during the meeting, which comes ahead of the East Asia Summit to be held here Tuesday.
The prime minister is visiting Phnom Penh from Nov 18-20 to attend the 10th ASEAN-India Summit and the 7th East Asia Summit
Commerce Minister Anand Sharma Sunday told newspersons India believes that with the once-in-a-decade leadership change in China effected last week, "there is going to be continuity and stability in relations and our engagement, which is important to both the countries and the entire region and for economic stability".
Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping is set to become president after being anointed general secretary of the Communist Party of China, while Li Keqiang is to be the premier, taking over from President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao respectively in March 2013.
Sharma had said talks were on between Indian and the new Chinese leaders.
"Some of us have engaged with the new leadership, both at the government to government level and, at a fairly structured level, between the Communist Party of China and the Indian National Congress," he said.
Sharma also said that India wanted to discuss with China the issue of market access for IT and pharmaceuticals.
India-China bilateral trade hit a record $73.9 billion last year, but the ballooning trade deficit in Beijing`s favour rose to over $27 billion.
Bilateral trade registered a $12.2 billion increase in 2011, taking the total to $73.9 billion as against $61.7 billion in 2010, according to official trade figures for 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das