Manmohan Singh to hoist flag on I-Day for 8th time
New Delhi: When Manmohan Singh hoists the
national flag on Independence Day on Monday, he will be the
first Prime Minister to do so for the eighth consecutive year
after Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi.
Singh already has the distinction of having become the
third longest serving premier in the country after Nehru and
his daughter Indira.
Red Fort, a symbol of national integration has seen
Nehru, the first Head of Government, unfurling the national
flag 17 times, the most by any Indian Prime Minister. He is
closely followed by Indira Gandhi in the second place getting
the honour 16 times.
Upon his arrival at Lahori Gate of Red Fort, Singh will
be received by Defence Minister AK Antony, Minister of State
for Defence MM Pallam Raju and Defence Secretary Shashikant
After being introduced to the General Officer Commanding
(GOC), Delhi Area, Major General Manvender Singh by the
Defence Secretary, the Prime Minister will be presented a
general salute by a combined Inter-Services and Police Guard
following which he will inspect the Guard of Honour.
With Army being the conducting agency this year, the
Guard of Honour will be commanded by Lt Col N Seshagiri Rao
from the Madras Regiment.
The unfurling of the tri-colour will synchronize with 21
gun salute fired by the gunners of 299 Field Regiment
commanded by Maj Vijay Kumar Shah.
The Prime Minister will then address the nation.
About 700 NCC cadets from the Delhi Directorate
comprising Army, Navy and Air Force wings will participate in
the flag hoisting ceremony this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read