Manmohan Singh to hoist flag on I-Day for 8th time
New Delhi: When Manmohan Singh hoists the
national flag on Independence Day on Monday, he will be the
first Prime Minister to do so for the eighth consecutive year
after Jawaharlal Nehru and Indira Gandhi.
Singh already has the distinction of having become the
third longest serving premier in the country after Nehru and
his daughter Indira.
Red Fort, a symbol of national integration has seen
Nehru, the first Head of Government, unfurling the national
flag 17 times, the most by any Indian Prime Minister. He is
closely followed by Indira Gandhi in the second place getting
the honour 16 times.
Upon his arrival at Lahori Gate of Red Fort, Singh will
be received by Defence Minister AK Antony, Minister of State
for Defence MM Pallam Raju and Defence Secretary Shashikant
After being introduced to the General Officer Commanding
(GOC), Delhi Area, Major General Manvender Singh by the
Defence Secretary, the Prime Minister will be presented a
general salute by a combined Inter-Services and Police Guard
following which he will inspect the Guard of Honour.
With Army being the conducting agency this year, the
Guard of Honour will be commanded by Lt Col N Seshagiri Rao
from the Madras Regiment.
The unfurling of the tri-colour will synchronize with 21
gun salute fired by the gunners of 299 Field Regiment
commanded by Maj Vijay Kumar Shah.
The Prime Minister will then address the nation.
About 700 NCC cadets from the Delhi Directorate
comprising Army, Navy and Air Force wings will participate in
the flag hoisting ceremony this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...