Maoists blow up ambulance, five killed
Phulbani: At least five persons, including two women and a three-year-old child, were killed as Maoists blew up an ambulance by triggering a landmine blast in Orissa`s Kandhamal district, police said on Sunday.
"We have received information about a landmine explosion that blew up an ambulance in Brahmanigaon area of Kandhamal late last night," Director General of Police Manmohan Praharaj told a news agency.
The ambulance was on its way from Gadapur to Brahmanigaon, about two km from the blast site, when it was targetted in the Maoist infested area close to Gajapati and Ganjam, the police said.
The explosion that took place near a culvert at Pangdugaon, about 300 km from here, killed among others a woman health worker, a pregnant woman and the ambulance
driver, Deputy Inspector General of Police (Southern Range) RK Sharma said.
The victims were identified as Simon Mallick the driver, Imoty Digal the pregnant lady, her three-year-old daughter Subhasri Digal, their relative Bunu Digal and Sukanti Pradhan the health worker, the police said.
While the driver hailed from Gadapur village in the district, the other victims belonged to Daringbadi, he said.
Security forces including CRPF jawans have launched a massive combing operation in the area to nab the Maoists.
The incident came close on the heels of the killing of a prominent contractor, Manoj Sahu on November 25 in Brahmanigaon area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- Clinton says emails, foundation ties not a threat to her White House bid
- From Olympic glory to jail: Oscar Pistorius' bid to challenge six-year jail term fails
- Piers Morgan TWEETS AGAIN: UK journalist takes credit for PM Modi setting up task force for next three Olympics
- MS Dhoni says it will be an interesting series against `extraordinary` West Indies
- Obama creates world's largest marine reserve in Hawaii