Maoists fuelling anti-dam protests in Northeast: BJP
Guwahati: The BJP on Friday alleged that Maoists were fuelling anti-dam protests across the country, mainly in the Northeast.
"Maoists have a big role in all anti-dam protests in India, especially in the Northeast," BJP national security cell convenor P Chandrasekhar Rao told reporters here.
Assam and other states in the region are witnessing a series of protests, at times violent, against construction of dams. In Assam, the protests are being led by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS), he said.
Rao alleged that Maoists, along with other extremist groups, are getting all the illegal arms through Myanmar border.
"Initially it was Bangladesh, but now Myanmar from where 90 per cent of the illegal weapons come to the region. It`s also a threat to the entire country. Illegal arms available here are the major cause for the insecurity of the common people," he added.
To address these issues, BJP would come out with a "North East Security Policy. We will formulate the policy and forward it to our central committee for inclusion in the manifesto for the 2014 election," he said.
The BJP leader also accused the UPA government of not doing sufficiently to stop anti-social activities of the surrendered militants.
"A review should be done on the ceasefire groups so that their activities can be monitored. Due to lack of proper rehabilitation system, most of the surrendered militants and members of the ceasefire groups are involved in anti-social activities," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH