Maoists fuelling anti-dam protests in Northeast: BJP
Guwahati: The BJP on Friday alleged that Maoists were fuelling anti-dam protests across the country, mainly in the Northeast.
"Maoists have a big role in all anti-dam protests in India, especially in the Northeast," BJP national security cell convenor P Chandrasekhar Rao told reporters here.
Assam and other states in the region are witnessing a series of protests, at times violent, against construction of dams. In Assam, the protests are being led by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS), he said.
Rao alleged that Maoists, along with other extremist groups, are getting all the illegal arms through Myanmar border.
"Initially it was Bangladesh, but now Myanmar from where 90 per cent of the illegal weapons come to the region. It`s also a threat to the entire country. Illegal arms available here are the major cause for the insecurity of the common people," he added.
To address these issues, BJP would come out with a "North East Security Policy. We will formulate the policy and forward it to our central committee for inclusion in the manifesto for the 2014 election," he said.
The BJP leader also accused the UPA government of not doing sufficiently to stop anti-social activities of the surrendered militants.
"A review should be done on the ceasefire groups so that their activities can be monitored. Due to lack of proper rehabilitation system, most of the surrendered militants and members of the ceasefire groups are involved in anti-social activities," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit