Maoists fuelling anti-dam protests in Northeast: BJP
Guwahati: The BJP on Friday alleged that Maoists were fuelling anti-dam protests across the country, mainly in the Northeast.
"Maoists have a big role in all anti-dam protests in India, especially in the Northeast," BJP national security cell convenor P Chandrasekhar Rao told reporters here.
Assam and other states in the region are witnessing a series of protests, at times violent, against construction of dams. In Assam, the protests are being led by Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS), he said.
Rao alleged that Maoists, along with other extremist groups, are getting all the illegal arms through Myanmar border.
"Initially it was Bangladesh, but now Myanmar from where 90 per cent of the illegal weapons come to the region. It`s also a threat to the entire country. Illegal arms available here are the major cause for the insecurity of the common people," he added.
To address these issues, BJP would come out with a "North East Security Policy. We will formulate the policy and forward it to our central committee for inclusion in the manifesto for the 2014 election," he said.
The BJP leader also accused the UPA government of not doing sufficiently to stop anti-social activities of the surrendered militants.
"A review should be done on the ceasefire groups so that their activities can be monitored. Due to lack of proper rehabilitation system, most of the surrendered militants and members of the ceasefire groups are involved in anti-social activities," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price