Maoists kill 10 securitymen in Orissa; blow up guest house in Jharkhand
Koraput (Orissa): Ten security personnel
were killed and as many injured in a landmine explosion
triggered by Maoists in Orissa`s Koraput district on Sunday,
The landmine exploded at Tanginiguda when a van
carrying jawans of the elite anti-Naxalite Special Operation
Group (SOG) was returning from an operation from adjacent
The jawans belonged to SOG`s road clearing wing.
The injured were admitted to nearby hospitals.
Additional force and medical team had been sent to the
spot, about 55 km from here.
Sources said a brief exchange of fire also took place
between the security personnel and the rebels near the blast
site and details were awaited.
The incident took place despite strict instruction to
the jawans to walk down leaving their vehicle while crossing
Govindpali Ghati area, sources said.
In another attack, Maoists guerrillas bombed a forest guest house in Jharkhand`s Latehar district early this morning, police said.
Around 20 to 25 Maoists rebels raided the guest house, which was vacant at the time, at Matlong village, about 140 km from Ranchi, and later triggered the blast.
The guest house was badly damaged in the blast, the police said, adding that a pamphlet was recovered from the site, which claimed that the guerrillas targeted the guest house as it was used by security forces.
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state
- SC, ST promotions: Shivraj Singh-led government to move Supreme Court
- Bombed Brussels airport departure hall to reopen today