MEA had `reservations` about conferring doctorate to Dalai
New Delhi: The Centre has accepted that
External Affairs Ministry had initial "reservations" about
conferring of an honorary doctorate degree to Tibetan
spiritual leader the Dalai Lama by Jamia Millia Islamia, but
later gave the nod.
The proposal by Jamia Millia to honour the Dalai Lama
did not have a smooth sailing in the External Affairs Ministry
apparently because of Chinese sensitivities.
The University had plans to award the doctorate to the
Nobel Laureate on November 23, 2010 -- a month ahead of
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao`s visit to India and apparently the
Ministry was apprehensive about its timing.
Vice-Chancellor Najeeb Jung then spoke to Foreign
Secretary Nirupama Rao against the backdrop of a media report
that the MEA was blocking the University`s move to honour the
Dalai Lama as it came ahead of Jiabao`s visit to India.
Later the nod was received and the Dalai Lama was
conferred the degree of Doctor of Letters (Honoris Causa) by
Union Minister for Human Resources Development Kapil Sibal who
was the chief guest at the University`s annual convocation.
"Initially, Ministry of External Affairs was having
some reservations to provide Honorary Degree to His Holiness
the Dalai Lama but later on clearance was given to honour him
with the degree by Jamia Millia Islamia," the HRD Ministry,
nearly six months after the episode, has said in an RTI
response to activist S C Agrawal.
The University had also requested Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh to accept the degree of Doctor of Letters
(Honoris Causa) at its annual convention, but the Prime
Minister`s Office had sent "a polite letter of regret" to
Vice-Chancellor Jung expressing inability to accept the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!