Meira Kumar meets Zardari, both express commitments to friendship
Islamabad: India and Pakistan on Sunday expressed their commitment to work towards establishing good neighbourly relations between them and voiced satisfaction on the way bilateral dialogue was progressing.
The two sides conveyed this sentiment to each other when visiting Lok Sabha speaker Meira Kumar called on Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari at the presidency here this evening.
Zardari said Pakistan is committed to a "constructive sustained and result-oriented process of engagement" with India, and reiterated his call for the two countries to make "determined efforts for friendly cooperative and good neighbourly relations".
He expressed satisfaction that the "resumed dialogues between the two countries are progressing", an official statement said.
Zardari said finding "amicable and just solutions" to all outstanding issues is important for Pakistan and India to ensure lasting peace and stability in the region.
He said South Asia has enormous potential and cooperation between India and Pakistan is imperative to exploit it.
Pakistan is also keen to promote greater interaction between parliamentarians of the two sides and "high level visits have significantly improved the atmosphere between the two countries", he said.
Kumar, who is leading an Indian parliamentary delegation for a SAARC meeting here, reiterated India`s desire to "build a relationship of good neighbourliness and all-round cooperation with Pakistan".
She expressed satisfaction at "recent positive developments in bilateral relations", including in the areas of trade and people-to-people interaction.
Zardari hoped that bilateral parliamentary exchanges would continue in future as they would help promote people-to-people contacts and build mutual trust and understanding.
The Lok Sabha Speaker called on the President after the inauguration of a conference of the Association of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians in Islamabad by Zardari.
She was accompanied by Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairperson PJ Kurien, the Lok Sabha Secretary General and Indian High Commissioner Sharat Sabharwal.
Matters related to promoting SAARC`s role in different fields increased contacts between parliamentarians regional issues and Pakistan-India relations were discussed during the meeting.
Kumar told Zardari that she carried "everlasting impressions" from her bilateral visit to Pakistan in February, which was undertaken at the invitation of National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza.
The two leaders emphasised the role of parliamentary interaction in promoting democratic values and agreed that such interaction between India and Pakistan "contributes significantly to the efforts to improve the relationship between the two countries".
Kumar conveyed to Zardari greetings and good wishes from the Indian President, Prime Minister, parliament and people and told the President that she looked forward to welcoming the Chairman of Pakistan`s Senate to India in the coming weeks.
Zardari further said Pakistan would continue to play a "proactive role" to make SAARC a vibrant regional organisation as regional cooperation is an "important engine of prosperity".
Pakistan attaches importance to SAARC as it can play an important role in bringing the people of members` states together by promoting investment- trade and contacts, he added.
Earlier, Kumar proposed the name of her Pakistani counterpart Mirza and formally handed over the Chairpersonship of the SAARC Speakers` Council to her at a meeting of the body at Pakistan`s National Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in