Meticulous bureaucrat Ajit Seth is new Cabinet Secretary
New Delhi: Senior IAS officer Ajit Kumar
Seth, known as a meticulous bureaucrat who plays by the rules,
was on Tuesday appointed as the next Cabinet Secretary.
Seth, a 1974-batch officer from Uttar Pradesh cadre, will
succeed K M Chandrasekar who retires next month after serving
in the post for four years, which includes two extensions.
The appointment of Seth, who is currently Secretary,
Public Grievances and Co-ordination in the Cabinet
Secretariat, was cleared by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh,
The 59-year-old will serve as an Officer on Special Duty
in the Cabinet Secretariat till June 13 and assume charge the
next day. He will have a fixed two-year tenure.
Seth has edged out at least two officers Pulak
Chatterjee, who is considered close to the Nehru-Gandhi
family, and Bihar Chief Secretary Anup Mukherjee for the top
post as they were also in contention.
Born on November 24, 1951, Seth is Masters in
Chemistry. He is known as a meticulous bureaucrat who plays by
Seth has served in various key positions in Uttar Pradesh
government before coming to the Centre on deputation on
January 1, 2009 when he was appointed to the current post.
63-year-old Chandrasekar, a 1970-batch IAS officer from
Kerala cadre, is demitting the post to which he was appointed
in 2007 for a term of two years.
He was given a one-year extension in June 2009. He got
another one-year extension last year.
The last extension ended the aspirations among 1972 and
1973 batch IAS officers for the top bureaucratic post of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP