MHA may deny sanction to prosecute Italian marines under stringent law
New Delhi: The Home Ministry is likely to deny sanction to prosecute two Italian marines accused of killing two Kerala fishermen under a law which provides only death penalty.
If the Home Ministry denies sanction to NIA to prosecute the two Italian marines under the Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against Safety of Maritime Navigation and Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf Act (SUA), the case will go back to the Kerala Police and the accused will be tried under IPC.
Under SUA, if anyone causes death, he or she will be awarded only death penalty but India has already assured Italy that the offence would not warrant death under established jurisprudence.
Official sources said the Home Ministry was mulling over two options -- outright rejection of National Investigation Agency`s plea for sanction to prosecute the two marines under SUA or informing the court that the murder of two Kerala fishermen could not be considered as a scheduled offence.
The Supreme Court has handed over the probe to NIA, which under law, is mandated to probe only scheduled offences.
Accused Italian marines Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who were on board Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` and are now lodged in New Delhi`s Italy Embassy premises, allegedly shot dead the two fishermen on February 15, 2012.
NIA completed its probe after questioning various witnesses including four Italian marines, who were witness to the incident, through video conferencing after their refusal to come to India.
The Supreme Court had shifted the case to Delhi, saying Kerala Police have no jurisdiction over it and backed the government`s decision to hand over the case to NIA.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31