Modi to address BJP conclave in Goa; Advani yet to confirm
Panaji: BJP veteran LK Advani is yet to confirm his participation at the party workers` convention here on June 9 even as Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is all set to address the event on "public demand", a senior party leader said on Monday.
In the context of the ongoing debate over Modi`s likely projection as BJP`s prime ministerial nominee, party`s national executive member Laxmikant Parsekar said media was not completely off the mark in reporting about this speculation.
"There may be some truth in what media has been speculating," Parsekar told reporters.
Goa is hosting the two-day national executive meeting of BJP, beginning June 8 while the national office-bearers` meeting is scheduled a day before. The party workers` convention will be held on June 9.
Parsekar said Advani has not yet confirmed his participation at the June 9 convention.
"At least till now, Advani has not confirmed (his participation) for the workers convention," he said, adding, Modi will address the meet.
"The (party) workers have been asking us when will they get to hear Modi. He (Modi) would be there for the convention on the public demand," the former state BJP chief said.
Rumour mills are abuzz over growing chasm in the party over projection of Modi as the prime ministerial candidate, especially after Advani praised Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan for developing a once `Beemaru` (poor) state.
In what appears to be a counter to Advani, BJP president Rajnath Singh told reporters in Hyderabad today that the Gujarat heavyweight was the "most popular leader" in the country.
Interestingly, Modi will be the only BJP chief minister to address the conclave. Besides Singh, senior leaders Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley will address the meet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her