Modified luggage room coaches earmarked for differently abled
New Delhi: Recognising the need of
physically challenged persons, Railways have decided to make
special arrangements to accommodate them in all Mail and
Second class luggage room coaches are being modified to
facilitate boarding of trains by the differently abled
"It has been decided that all Mail and Express trains
with modified coaches known as SLRD coaches will have
reserved seats for physically challenged persons," said a
senior Railway Ministry official.
Doors of SLRD coaches are being widened to facilitate the
boarding of passengers with wheel-chairs.
Railways had made a commitment to a parliamentary
committee to make special provision for facilitating boarding
of trains by physically challenged passengers.
There are total four seats in unreserved category in SLRD
coaches and now these have been earmarked exclusively for the
physically challenged passengers and their escorts.
However, this will not be applicable to fully reserved
trains like Garib Rath trains.
Besides the SLRD coaches, Railways have also decided to
provide `handicapped quota` of two sleeper class berths -- one
lower berth for the physically challenged person and the
middle berth for for escort.
"The handicapped quota was earlier withdrawn after the
introduction of SLRD coaches. Now it has been restored," said
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- CTET May 8 exam: CBSE releases admit cards, eligible list for Haryana candidates
- Arvind Kejriwal lauds PM Narendra Modi's Cabinet Minister Suresh Prabhu – Know why
- OMG: Akshay Kumar's bodyguard punches a fan – Details inside
- SHOCKING! Pakistan umpire Aleem Dar's sons involved in major controversy in Scotland - Read full story
- Kerala Assembly Election 2016: Arun Jaitley to release NDA's vision document today