Modified luggage room coaches earmarked for differently abled
New Delhi: Recognising the need of
physically challenged persons, Railways have decided to make
special arrangements to accommodate them in all Mail and
Second class luggage room coaches are being modified to
facilitate boarding of trains by the differently abled
"It has been decided that all Mail and Express trains
with modified coaches known as SLRD coaches will have
reserved seats for physically challenged persons," said a
senior Railway Ministry official.
Doors of SLRD coaches are being widened to facilitate the
boarding of passengers with wheel-chairs.
Railways had made a commitment to a parliamentary
committee to make special provision for facilitating boarding
of trains by physically challenged passengers.
There are total four seats in unreserved category in SLRD
coaches and now these have been earmarked exclusively for the
physically challenged passengers and their escorts.
However, this will not be applicable to fully reserved
trains like Garib Rath trains.
Besides the SLRD coaches, Railways have also decided to
provide `handicapped quota` of two sleeper class berths -- one
lower berth for the physically challenged person and the
middle berth for for escort.
"The handicapped quota was earlier withdrawn after the
introduction of SLRD coaches. Now it has been restored," said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Sachin Tendulkar fans fume after Kumar Sangakkara omits 'God of Cricket' from all-time XI
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh