Moily to talk to SG over his resignation
New Delhi: Law Minister Veerappa Moily will soon talk to Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium to persuade him not to press for his resignation even as he met President Pratibha Patil on Sunday.
Sources said Moily will talk to Subramanium to clear the air since he has expressed his desire to quit following the appointment of a private lawyer to appear before the Supreme Court in a case related to an affidavit filed by an NGO against Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal.
The government is confident that Subramanium will understand and continue to represent the Telecom Ministry in the 2G case, the sources said.
For the time being, Moily has asked him to stay on. It was underlined that while the Solicitor General continues to be the Telecom Ministry`s counsel in 2G case, Sibal had hired the private lawer to represent him in his personal capacity.
Meanwhile, Subramanium met Patil but government sources pointed out that since he was appointed by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet, he can tender his resignation only to the Law Minister.
When contacted, Moily, who is Bangalore, merely said, "I will be able to say more on the issue after I return to Delhi.
He was asked whether a private lawyer or the Solicitor General will appear before the apex court for the hearing in the affidavit case tomorrow.
Subramanium is understood to have protested before Moily the move to take back the file relating to the case from him and handing it over to a private lawyer junior to him.
Subramanium was not available for his comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre