Moratorium on deemed univ status to be lifted
New Delhi: After notifying new regulations
for grant of deemed university tag to institutions, the
government is set to lift a year-long moratorium on processing
of fresh applications for such status.
The HRD Ministry had kept in abeyance last June the
processing of fresh applications of institutions for the
status of deemed universities.
"Now the new regulations have come into force. The
moratorium will be lifted and the fresh institutions will be
granted the status as per the new norms," a ministry official
The moratorium had put the fate of over 200
institutions in limbo. These institutions had applied to the
UGC for grant of deemed status.
Twelve institutions had already got UGC`s approval for
the status and were under consideration of the HRD minister.
However, now all these institutions will be inspected
fresh according to the new norms and awarded the status as per
the recommendations of the expert panels.
The UGC has already notified the new deemed
universities regulations which stipulate stricter norms for
grant of deemed tag to institution.
As per the new regulations, an institutions needs to
have at least 15-year standing and highest rating by an
accreditation agency for being considered for deemed status.
Under the proposed regulations, no deemed university
can offer courses in distant mode. Each institution needs to
have a corpus fund of Rs 25 crore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended