More fund to BPL families under Indira Aawas Yojana
New Delhi: Government intends to increase financial assistance given to BPL families under the Indira Aawas Yojana to Rs 84,000 from Rs 45,000 to build dwelling units, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh informed Lok Sabha on Thursday.
"A proposal has been sent by the ministry for increasing the financial assistance to BPL families under the Indira Awas Yojana. The proposal is to give Rs 75,000 to each BPL family and another Rs 9,000 for constructing a toilet. We hope the Cabinet will approve it soon," he said during Question Hour.
At present, financial assistance of Rs 45,000 is given per family under IAY in the plains, and Rs 48,500 in hilly or difficult areas for constructing dwelling units.
Under IAY, beneficiaries are selected from the permanent IAY Waitlist/BPL List in order of their ranking, the poorest of the poor being on the top of the list.
In case a dwelling unit is not completed, the allocation is made again in the next financial year.
Houses under IAY are built by beneficiaries using material and labour sourced by them. Funds are released in two-three installments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day