More fund to BPL families under Indira Aawas Yojana
New Delhi: Government intends to increase financial assistance given to BPL families under the Indira Aawas Yojana to Rs 84,000 from Rs 45,000 to build dwelling units, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh informed Lok Sabha on Thursday.
"A proposal has been sent by the ministry for increasing the financial assistance to BPL families under the Indira Awas Yojana. The proposal is to give Rs 75,000 to each BPL family and another Rs 9,000 for constructing a toilet. We hope the Cabinet will approve it soon," he said during Question Hour.
At present, financial assistance of Rs 45,000 is given per family under IAY in the plains, and Rs 48,500 in hilly or difficult areas for constructing dwelling units.
Under IAY, beneficiaries are selected from the permanent IAY Waitlist/BPL List in order of their ranking, the poorest of the poor being on the top of the list.
In case a dwelling unit is not completed, the allocation is made again in the next financial year.
Houses under IAY are built by beneficiaries using material and labour sourced by them. Funds are released in two-three installments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued