‘More people to get foodgrains via PDS from Oct 2’
New Delhi: The government will provide
from October 2 subsidised wheat and rice to additional 1.5
crore poor families, Food Minister Sharad Pawar said Tuesday.
The subsidised foodgrain to the additional households,
taking the total to 8.07 crore in the list of Below Poverty
Line, would be given through the public distribution system
where poor get wheat at Rs 4.15 per kg and rice at Rs 5.65 kg.
"We are expecting the new list of BPL families to be
published from the Planning Commission in the next week`s
time. If the list comes and the state governments are ready, I
will be happy to execute the new BPL list from October 2,"
Food and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said after the
function on revamping the public distribution system (PDS).
The Planning Commission has given an approximate figure
of 8.07 crore BPL families based on estimated 2011 population,
he said, adding that if this list comes, then both the Centre
and the states should be prepared.
Pawar also announced that the state governments will
ensure doorstep delivery of foodgrains to ration shops (Fair
Price Shops) with effect from October 2.
The Centre has recently taken up the exercise to revise
the estimate of number of poor people in view of the proposed
Food Security Act, which promises assured quantity of
foodgrains to BPL families.
At present, the government is supplying every month about
35 kg of rice and wheat at subsidised rates to each poor
family under BPL and AAY category. Rice is sold at Rs 5.65 kg
and wheat at Rs 4.15 kg to BPL families, while at Rs 3 and Rs
2, respectively, for AAY families.
The minister also said that the state governments may
adopt innovate ways for supply of foodgrains to poor, enhance
viability of ration shops by allowing sale of non-PDS items,
and roll out technology-based initiative for effective
delivery of foodgrains and others.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!