Muivah meets Chidambaram
New Delhi: NSCN-IM `general secretary`
Thuingaleng Muivah today met Home Minister P Chidambaram and
discussed with him issues related to the Naga peace process.
Muivah is also understood to have apprised Chidambaram
about his nearly one-and-a-half-month-long peace mission
across Nagaland and its outcome.
The issue of his failed trip to his ancestral village
in Manipur is also said to have figured in the nearly
The Naga rebel leader had also met Prime Minister
A crucial round of talks between NSCN-IM and Centre`s
interlocutor R S Pandey will begin here tomorrow to carry
forward the peace process. A few rounds of informal talks with
the NSCN-IM leadership had taken last week.
Top leaders of the rebel group, are currently in the
capital to participate in the meeting.
Undertaking the peace mission that began in first week
of June, Muivah visited all the districts of Nagaland except
Mon and called for re-conciliation and understanding among the
Nagas basing on the principle of "forget and forgive" to have
a unified voice to be presented before the government of
So far over 60 rounds of peace talks were held between
the two sides during the course of 13-year-long peace process
initiated in August 1997.
Initially, Muivah embarked on a journey to his native
village in Manipur`s Ukhrul district on May 5, but deferred
his plan following stiff opposition from the Ibobi Singh
government which saw his visit as a "threat to communal
harmony" in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks
- Biopic should be made on PT Usha, says Sonam Kapoor