Mumbai-Dehradun Express fire: Railway Minister expresses grief, announces compensation
New Delhi: Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge on Wednesday expressed grief over the death of passengers in the fire mishap on board the Mumbai-Dehradun Express and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh each to the next of kin of those killed.
"The Railway Minister has expressed deep grief over the incident and announced an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh for those who died in this unfortunate incident and Rs 1 lakh to those seriously injured," Chairman, Railway Board, Arunendra Kumar said.
A sum of Rs 50,000 will be given to those who received minor injuries.
The commissioner of Railway Safety will conduct an inquiry into the fire incident, he said.
Nine persons were charred to death when a fire broke out in three coaches of Mumbai-Dehradun Express train near Dahanu road in Maharashtra`s Thane district early today.
"The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained. However, the fire has been put out and the train has made its forward journey," Kumar said.
He said the damage was restricted due to an alert guard.
The coaches have been separated from the train and the train has it made its forward journey, he said.
Senior railway officials have rushed to the site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- 'India stalling dialogue with Pakistan to avoid negotiations on Kashmir'
- Cancer woes: Parsley, dill can actually be the cure!
- Spine chilling! French swimmer Yannick Agnel promises to swim around the Nordic island if Iceland win Euro 2016
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 second flash sale on July 5; registrations open
- Opal-studded meteorite points towards evolution of water on Earth!