Mumbai lawyers welcome Akshardham attack convicts` acquittal
Mumbai: Lawyers in Mumbai Saturday welcomed the Supreme Court judgement acquitting all six convicts, including two on the death row, in the 2002 Akshardham temple terror attack in Gandhinagar.
Lawyer Gulzar Aazmi of the Jamiat Ulama-E-Maharashtra (JUeM) (AM) said: "The prosecution failed to establish the guilt by the accused beyond reasonable doubt and they deserved exoneration from all the charges."
The JUeM (AM) provided free legal aid to the accused in the case.
"The JUeM (AM) hired the services of top criminal lawyers, including former solicitor-general Amrindar Sharan, for pleading the case of the innocent Muslim youth. They were wrongly convicted by the designated POTA court and later the sentencing was confirmed by the Gujarat High Court," Azmi told IANS.
He termed it as "a major setback to the Gujarat government" on the eve of Chief Minister Narendra Modi demitting office to take over as the new prime minister of India.
Allowing the convicts` pleas against the conviction and sentencing in the case, a Supreme Court division bench of Justice AK Patnaik and Justice VG Gowda Friday held that the prosecution failed to establish their guilt beyond reasonable doubts and they deserved exoneration from all charges.
The apex court also nixed the confessional statements of the convicts as being invalid in law and said the prosecution could not establish that they participated in any conspiracy.
The appeals by two convicts sentenced to death - Adambhai Sulemanbhai Ajmeri and Abdul Qayum - were allowed. Mohammed Hanif Shaikh, Abdullamiya Yasin Kadri and two others were sentenced to varying jail terms ranging from 10 years to life imprisonment.
Drawing parallels between the investigations into the alleged fake gun battle of Sohrabuddin and the Sep 25, 2002, Akshardham temple attack, the convicts said the terrorists involved in both the cases were killed by NSG commandos.
The convicts said they were arrested after investigations conducted by then deputy Superintendent of Police DG Vanzara, who is now facing trial in the Sohrauddin fake gun battle case.
Among other things, the convicts alleged that the Gujarat government was "notorious for conducting investigations in a totally partial and unjust manner".
On Sep 24, 2002, two terrorists fired indiscriminately from their AK-56 assault rifles and lobbed hand grenades at the Akshardham temple in Gujarat`s capital Gandhinagar.
At least 33 people were killed and over 80 injured before the National Security Guard commandos managed to gun down the attackers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?