Mumbai terror suspect Rana`s hearing cancelled
Chicago: A status hearing of Pakistani-Canadian terror suspect Tahawwur Hussain Rana, co-accused with Lashkar-e-Toiba operative David Headley in the 26/11 Mumbai attacks case, set go on trial here Feb 14, has been cancelled.
The US attorney`s office confirmed cancellation of Monday`s hearing behind closed doors to address the defence request to know what evidence the government deems classified, but gave no reason.
However, February trial of Rana, a Chicago businessman, before US district court judge Harry D Leinenweber remains on track. The trial is expected to take a month.
Rana, 49, and Pakistani American Headley, who has confessed to his role in the November 2008 attacks that killed 166 people, were indicted Feb 15 for their "roles in India and Denmark Terrorism Conspiracies".
Rana, who has pleaded not guilty, is accused of providing "material support" for the attack. Rana and Headly were also allegedly part of a plot to attack a Danish newspaper that printed a controversial cartoon about prophet Mohammed.
At a hearing last week to set the trial date Rana`s lawyer Patrick W Blegen told Leinenweber that they haven`t yet got all of the transcripts of recorded conversations involving their client.
Many of those recordings need to be translated, so the defence wanted time to get that done, but will be ready for the February court date, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand