Murmurs of witch-hunt as Devas reports released
Chennai: With ISRO making public only parts of two reports into the controversial Antrix-Devas deal, murmurs of witch-hunt against the four retired scientists is gaining ground.
The ISRO uploaded on its website only the conclusions and recommendations of a report by a five-member panel led by former CVC Pratyush Sinha and Volume 1 of a two-member committee of BK Chaturvedi and Roddam Narasimha. ISRO also uploaded a statement on both the committees and the follow up action on their recommendations.
Indian Space Research Organisation Chairman K. Radhakrishnan had recently announced that the reports of the two committees would be made public. But the government approved release of some portions.
"We have released what has been approved by the government. The government has to decide on making public the remaining portions," ISRO director (publications and public relations) S. Satish said.
Some portions of the Chaturvedi-Narasimha panel have been withheld under Section 8 (1) (a) of Right to Information Act 2005.
The release of only some portions has led to speculation among scientists that a witch-hunt is on against the four former scientists, including retired ISRO chairman G. Madhavan Nair.
Nair was awarded Padma Bhushan in 1998 and Padma Vibhushan in 2009.
According to ISRO officials, Nair is a go getter. And it may be true that there have been procedural lapses in concluding the Devas deal.
"As to the procedural lapses, all I have to say is that we had followed the earlier practise and nothing new was followed," A. Bhaskaranarayana, a former scientific secretary at ISRO, said.
Bhaskaranarayana is one of the four space scientists blacklisted from any government job or membership in a government committee.
The three others are Nair, K.R. Sridharamurthi, former executive director of Antrix, the commercial arm of ISRO, and K.N. Shankara, a former director of the ISRO satellite centre.
ISRO officials said on the condition of anonymity that the action against the four space scientists was due to a combination of procedural lapse in concluding the Devas deal and vindictive action.
Nair was not available for comments.
As per the deal, Antrix was to provide 70 MHz S-Band spectrum to Devas, which is into multimedia services. Antrix would provide the spectrum by leasing out transponders of two satellites to be built mainly for Devas.
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) estimated the loss to the exchequer to the tune of Rs.2 lakh crore because of the deal. The government later scrapped the deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt