Muslim body flays Antony`s statement
Aligarh: An Aligarh-based Muslim body has written a letter to Congress president Sonia Gandhi expressing dismay over AK Anotony`s remarks that some sections of society have an impression that the party is inclined to minority communities.
Millat Bedari Muhim Committee (MBMC), which had supported the Congress during Lok Sabha polls, said that Muslims can do without "pseudo appeasement and tokenism which the Congress has been offering during the past few years".
The outfit passed a resolution yesterday describing Antony`s statement as a "conspiracy to totally alienate Muslims from Congress and destabilise Sonia`s leadership within the party."
"Antony`s statement has come as a shock to the Muslims who are left behind socially, economically and educationally," MBMC secretary Jasim Mohammad said.
The senior Congress leader said that some sections of the society have an impression that Congress is inclined towards minority communities.
Jasim claimed that some "Congress-led state governments had in fact tried to `hoodwink Muslims` by promising to introduce job quotas when they were fully aware that these quotas would be struck down by the courts."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra