Muslims protest against Obama`s visit
Lucknow: A group of Muslims, led by the noted Shia cleric and member of All India Muslim Personal Law Board Maulana Kalbe Jawwad, Friday staged a demonstration against the visit of US president Barack Obama here.
Scores of people, holding placards that read "Obama go back, dont disturb Muslims" and "American agent murdabad", gathered outside Bara Imambara after offering the Friday prayers here.
Branding both Israel and the US as anti-Muslims, Jawwad said that the central government should change the national policy towards these nations.
"The visit of Obama will not benefit the country in anyway and linking it with progress is baseless," Jawwad said.
The agitators also burnt an effigy of the US president.
Heavy police force was deployed to check any untoward incident during protest, which passed off peacefully.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS