My daughter feels unsafe in Delhi: CM Sheila Dikshit
New Delhi: "My own daughter feels unsafe in the city." This is what Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, a vocal critic of city police, has to say about the law and order situation, especially on safety of women in the capital.
Admitting that statistics on crime against women are shocking, she said the challenge will have to be faced with "courage and determination".
"We have to face it with courage and determination. This is happening all around the country. This is not a competition. I don`t want to get into it," she told an English news channel.
"Why is it that a girl is walking on the street and someone has to tease her. When we went to school or college there were whistles but there was nothing of this kind," she said.
Expressing unhappiness over the law and order situation in Delhi, Dikshit said a lot has to be done to address the sense of insecurity among women in the city.
"I am not satisfied with the law and order.... I wouldn`t be able to judge whether security has improved after December 16 or not," the Chief Minister said.
Asked whether her letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his intervention in ensuring better policing in the city bore result, she said better policing was not a "magic wand".
"The PM did respond to my letter asking for better policing. I hope there is better policing but better policing is not a magic wand," she said.
"…One can`t put everything on the government. I feel concerned about law and order even though it is not under me because ours is an elected government.
"I am not saying police reporting to Lt Governor is ok or not but that is the system. But this does not stop us from doing what we can do within our limitations," she said
Asked whether she agrees to reports that four rape incidents take place in the city daily, she replied in affirmative and said it was "good" that such crimes are being reported.
"I agree. They have been reported. It is good that the incidents are being reported. We have started a helpline to offer assistance to women in distress," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL