N-powered Russian missile cruiser to dock at Goa
New Delhi: Russia`s heavy nuclear-powered missile cruiser, Pyotr Velikiy, will dock at a port in Goa for six days from Friday during which the warship will also take part in a joint naval exercise with the Indian Navy.
The missile cruiser is visiting port Mormugao Aug 6-11, an official in the Russian embassy here said.
According to the spokesperson of the Russian Ministry of Defence (Navy), the cruiser will participate in joint exercises with Indian naval ships.
There will be air defence, gun firing exercises, manoeuvering and replenishment at sea.
The spokesperson, quoting Russian Navy General Headquarters, said the visit of the Russian cruiser "is another step in strengthening mutual understanding and cooperation between Russian and Indian navies".
Pyotr Velikiy is one of the state-of-the-art and powerful attack ships in the Russian Navy.
It can hit big surface targets and has very effective air defence and anti-submarine capabilities.
The weaponry of the cruiser includes attack cruise missiles (range up to 550 km) air defence systems.
The cruiser has a powerful nuclear propulsion system and can sail at 32 knots (60 km/h). The service life of this system is 50 years.
The energy potential of the cruiser`s nuclear power plant enables it to provide energy for a city with population of 150,000-200,000 people, the spokesperson said.
Officers on board the cruiser will call on Indian Navy officials in Goa also.
The personnel of the cruiser will go for sightseeing in the India port state and participate in volleyball matches and tug-of-war competitions with Indian naval officers and sailors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO