N-powered Russian missile cruiser to dock at Goa
New Delhi: Russia`s heavy nuclear-powered missile cruiser, Pyotr Velikiy, will dock at a port in Goa for six days from Friday during which the warship will also take part in a joint naval exercise with the Indian Navy.
The missile cruiser is visiting port Mormugao Aug 6-11, an official in the Russian embassy here said.
According to the spokesperson of the Russian Ministry of Defence (Navy), the cruiser will participate in joint exercises with Indian naval ships.
There will be air defence, gun firing exercises, manoeuvering and replenishment at sea.
The spokesperson, quoting Russian Navy General Headquarters, said the visit of the Russian cruiser "is another step in strengthening mutual understanding and cooperation between Russian and Indian navies".
Pyotr Velikiy is one of the state-of-the-art and powerful attack ships in the Russian Navy.
It can hit big surface targets and has very effective air defence and anti-submarine capabilities.
The weaponry of the cruiser includes attack cruise missiles (range up to 550 km) air defence systems.
The cruiser has a powerful nuclear propulsion system and can sail at 32 knots (60 km/h). The service life of this system is 50 years.
The energy potential of the cruiser`s nuclear power plant enables it to provide energy for a city with population of 150,000-200,000 people, the spokesperson said.
Officers on board the cruiser will call on Indian Navy officials in Goa also.
The personnel of the cruiser will go for sightseeing in the India port state and participate in volleyball matches and tug-of-war competitions with Indian naval officers and sailors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened