‘N-submarine Arihant to start sea trials soon’
New Delhi: Moving a step closer towards completing its nuclear triad, indigenously-developed nuclear-powered submarine INS Arihant will begin sea trials in "some months from now" and start operational patrols by the end of 2012.
"I had said that we will do so in 2012 and by and large
we are on track. A firm date can be given only when we have
the sea trials which will happen from some months from now,"
Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma told a press conference here.
He was asked about Navy`s plans to operationalise the
indigenous nuclear submarine.
India already has the capability to launch nuclear
weapons from land and air and INS Arihant will complete the
INS Arihant was formally launched in July 2009 and it
would be the first in the series of three nuclear-powered
submarines that the country is building with assistance from
It already possesses or is in the process of developing a
family of nuclear-capable missiles including the Agni series,
Prithvi variants, naval missile Dhanush, and submarine-
Verma refused to comment on a time-frame for induction
Akula class nuclear submarine Nerpa on leased from Russia.
On the issue of safety procedures to be adopted on board
nuclear submarines, Verma said there is a need for a nuclear
regulatory authority. Bhabha Atomic Reactor Centre (BARC)
would have a big role to play in this regard, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened