Nanavati panel refuses to cross examine Zadafia
Ahmedabad: The Nanavati Commission probing
the 2002 Gujarat riot cases today rejected the application of
an NGO seeking a direction to summon former minister of state
for home Gordhan Zadafia for cross-examination.
The Commission, however, issued orders summoning IPS
officer R J Savani, who was DCP Zone 5 during the riots.
The NGO Jan Sangharsh Manch (JSM) in its application had
sought summoning of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi,
Ashok Bhatt, Zadafia and Savani.
Since the JSM did not press for summoning Modi and
Bhatt, the Commission, comprising retd Justices G T Nanavati
and Akshay Mehta, did not pass any order with regard to the
two BJP leaders.
JSM had contended that it would press for calling Modi
and Bhatt only after the subordinate staff and other ministers
The Commission also rejected another application of
JSM to summon three officials of Modi`s office.
While rejecting the plea to summon Zadafia, the
Commission observed, "it appears to the Commission that the
motive of JSM in making applications for summoning persons
named in the applications is not guided by the consideration
of assisting the Commission but by some other consideration".
The Commission said that Zadafia, who has parted ways
with BJP and floated his own party, can`t be considered as a
witness and hence cannot be cross-examined.
"He (Zadafia) has neither filed an affidavit nor given
evidence on oath before the Commission...he cannot be said to
be a witness as contemplated by section 8C (of Commissions of
Inquiry Act)," the Commission observed.
The JSM had contended that Zadafia, who was the MoS
Home during post-Godhra riots, has admitted before the Supreme
Court appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) of making
phone calls to some persons who are now accused in the Naroda
Patiya riot case.
Zadafia could have revealed many important facts about
the riots to the Commission, JSM had said.
With regard to Savani, JSM had claimed that he had
played a role in bringing the bodies of those killed in the
Godhra train burning incident to Ahmedabad and was in
constant touch with Zadafia during the post-Godhra riots.
The state government had opposed JSM`s contention saying
that there was no need to summon Zadafia and Savani as
their statements have already been recorded by the SIT. JSM had requested the Commission to call officials of
Modi`s office Omprakash Singh, Tanmay Mehta and Sanjay
Bhavsar for cross examination in 2002 riots. These officials
have already submitted affidavits to the Commission last year.
The Commission, while rejecting the plea, said it will
not be useful for the purpose of the inquiry.
"As the Commission had not found it necessary to
summon those officers as witnesses, question of permitting JSM
to cross examine those officers really does not arise," the
riot panel further said.
The Commission said in the order that the three CMO
officials were called by the panel to answer some of the
queries regarding an affidavit filed by them, but they had
feigned loss of memory about any telephonic conversation
they have had between February 27 and March 3, 2002.
The Commission contended that request of JSM for cross
examination of the officials also deserves to be rejected on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'