Narendra Modi jumps to oppose wrestling exclusion from Olympics
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday opposed the IOC`s move to drop wrestling from the 2020 Olympic programme and appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to intervene and ensure that the sport is not excluded from the quadrennial event.
He requested the Centre to form a group of nations and raise the voice collectively against the International Olympic Committee`s proposed move before a final decision on the issue is taken in September.
"The Prime Minister, Government of India (GoI) should not wait for a final decision in September 2013. Let us take the initiative, take people associated with wrestling and oppose the move," Modi said at the concluding ceremony of `Khel Mahakumbh`, an annual mega sports event of the state, here.
"We should form a union and present our case with strength and ensure wrestling is not dropped from Olympics."
Modi said wrestling has been at the Games since 1890s and Asian countries have excelled in the sport.
"To call wrestling not modern is an insult. It is a traditional sport. Asian nations, people must come forward to ensure wrestling remains part of Olympics," Modi tweeted.
The chief minister said to oppose a sport like wrestling in the name of modernity is an insult to a discipline, which has been a part of our society since the Mahabharata days.
"There must be no `games` (politics) in sports!. For any sports lover this is not a good news. Wrestling is amongst the oldest sports," Modi said.
Over 25 lakh athletes, including 92,000 differently- abled sportspersons, participated in various events in the nearly month-long `Khel Mahakumbh`, an initiative of the Gujarat Government, which was organised at district level.
The concluding ceremony was held in Ahmedabad.
Modi congratulated the participants and said 72 new records were set at this year`s sporting extravaganza.
"The number of records show sports have been accepted in society and they have become a part of our lives."
Prizes worth Rs 32 crore were given away during the Khel Mahakumbh, which saw participation from over eight lakh women athletes, he said.
Modi felicitated Maya Devipujak, a differently-abled athlete who did Gujarat proud by winning a gold medal at a floor hockey tournament in South Korea recently.
Participation by 92,000 differently-abled athletes in the mega event should be acknowledged globally, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp