Narendra Modi says BJP his mother, gets emotional
New Delhi: BJP`s prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi on Tuesday got emotional while addressing the party`s newly-elected MPs and other leaders.
Modi, who was elected as leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party parliamentary party, got emotional while responding to veteran leader LK Advani`s remarks that he (Modi) had done a favour by leading the party in the Lok Sabha election.
"Advani ji used a word. I request Adavani ji not to use the word again. He said Modi has done a `kripa` (favour)...`," Modi said.
As his eyes welled up, he abruptly stopped his address. Unable to continue with his address, Modi asked for a glass of water. Even after sipping some, Modi stood at the lactern with bent head, overcome with emotion.
Still with choked voice, Modi asked: "Is serving the country a favour?...It cannot be. As India is my mother, the BJP is also my mother and a son does not do favour to his mother. A son can only work with dedication."
Leaders like Ravi Shankar Prasad and Kirron Kher were also seen overcome with emotion and wiping a tear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?