Narendra Modi staging ‘fake encounter with facts’: Chidambaram
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Hitting out at BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi for lauding the growth rate during Atal Behari Vajpayee’s tenure as PM, Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Monday taunted the Gujarat Chief Minister for what he termed "staging a fake encounter with facts".
"Wonder why Narendra Modi should stage a fake encounter with facts. Ultimately, facts will prevail," Mr Chidambaram said in a statement, adding, "The average growth rate during Atal Behari Vajpayee`s tenure was six per cent."
Yesterday, Modi, while addressing the Indian diaspora, had said, "I want to tell the Congress friends, do you at least agree that when Vajpayee Government was there growth rate was 8.4 per cent but now it is 4.8 per cent under this (UPA) Government?"
The Finance Minister said the two worst years of growth since the turn of the century were 2001-02 (4.3 percent) and 2002-03 (4 percent) and pointed out that the average growth rate for UPA-1 was 8.4 percent. The last four years of UPA-II saw growth of 7.3 percent, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player