Naroda Patiya case: Court asks SIT to reply on progress
Ahmedabad: A special court today asked the
SIT to file its reply on the progress made in the Naroda
Patiya case while hearing an NGO`s plea demanding further
probe in the 2002 riot case.
Designated Judge Jyotsna Yagnik also asked Himanshu
Shukla, the new investigating officer in the case, to clarify
whether investigation with regard to the application of NGO
Jan Sangarsh Manch (JSM) was complete or not.
The court has asked the SIT to file the reply by
September 14 when the next hearing is scheduled.
JSM, representing some of the riot victims, had filed an
application last month seeking further probe in Naroda Patiya
case of 2002 along with review of the court`s order of March
4, where it had dismissed JSM`s plea demanding directions for
SIT to further probe the case.
JSM counsel Mukul Sinha submitted that SIT needs to
clarify its stand on the role of former Gujarat Home Minister
Gordhan Zadafia and two other cops in Naroda Patiya case of
post-Godhra riots where 95 persons were killed in 2002.
"Even when the trial in the case is halfway through, the
SIT is still investigating. We seek direction for SIT from
the court to clarify if the investigation is on in the case
or not," Sinha submitted.
"Also they need to clarify if based on the evidence
Zadafia and IPS officers M K Tandon and P B Gondia can be
included as accused or not," he said.
Sinha further submitted that it was high time that SIT
concludes its investigation and say if there are other accused
to be included or not.
He also said the SIT was given permission by the Supreme
Court to further investigate the roles of Zadafia, Gondia and
Tondon with regard to 2002 riots.
On behalf of SIT public prosecutor in the case Akilesh
Desai submitted that the investigation in the case was still
He submitted that CDs with phone call records and the
Tehelka sting operations tapes have been sent to the Forensic
Science Laboratory in Jaipur and its reports are awaited.
Desai said further investigation in case of Zadafia,
Gondia and Tandon was on under the supervision of Himanshu
Shukla and new SIT member Y C Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read