Nation pays tribute to Pandit Nehru on his 121st birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation on Sunday paid tribute to the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, on his 121st birth anniversary.
A series of functions are being organised across the country to mark the occasion.
In New Delhi, an all religion prayer meeting has been held at his memorial Shanti Van this morning.
The day is also observed as the ``Children`s Day`` in India as Pandit Nehru had great affection for children. They fondly called him ``Chacha`` Nehru.
Celebrating Children`s Day is about giving children the right to enjoy and grow into healthy and educated citizens of the country.
A pivotal figure in the Indian independence movement, Nehru was born on November 14, 1889 in Allahabad.
He was also a key figure in international politics in the post-war period, and was one of the founding figures of the non-aligned movement.
Nehru graduated from Cambridge University, and returned to India in 1912. Popularly referred to as Panditji, Nehru was also a writer, scholar and amateur historian. The son of the wealthy Indian barrister and politician Motilal Nehru, Nehru had become one of the youngest leaders of the Indian National Congress.
He was jailed seven times. After independence, Nehru served as India`s first Prime Minister from August 1947 to May 1964.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH