`Navy helped providing security cover to MV Suez`
New Delhi: Government on Friday said that the Indian Navy had "coordinated" with other navies operating in the piracy-affected region for providing security cover to MV Suez, the Egyptian merchant vessel, with six Indian nationals, released by Somali pirates four days ago.
"The Navy coordinated with other navies in the region so that security cover could be provided to MV Suez, the ship which was released by pirates recently and which has crew comprising, among others, of Indian and Pakistani nationals," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said.
He said that one of the naval warships INS Godavari had "also closed on MV Suez and monitored her progress" towards the Salalah port in Oman.
The ship is presently being escorted towards Oman by warships of Coalition Task Force including Pakistani ship PNS Babar.
The Navy had deployed INS Godavari to escort MV Suez to Salalah but after the merchant vessel, under a Pakistani captain, refused to respond to the communication calls by the warship, the Indian Navy pulled it out of the escort duties.
The warship is now escorting two other merchant vessels with 21 Indians in the Gulf of Aden.
The Navy is continuously assessing the situation and monitoring all developments.
MV Suez, with 22 crew members, including six Indian nationals, was released three days back by the Somali pirates after 10 months in captivity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog