Navy team to visit Russia to monitor Gorshkov`s progress
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of delay in delivery schedule of aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov, an Indian Navy team is scheduled to visit Russia in the next few days to monitor the progress of work on the warship.
The delivery schedule of the warship has slipped further after it encountered engine malfunctions during sea trials in Russia and is now expected to reach Indian shores in the second half of next year.
The team, which will be headed by a three-star officer, will also review the extent of the reported damage to the warship during the recent sea trials in Russia, sources said.
The Navy team will submit its report to the Defence Ministry before the meeting of Defence Minister A K Antony and his Russian counterpart Anatoly Serdyukov in first week of October, they said.
The two sides are meeting for the India Russia Inter-governmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation (IR-IGMTC) next month where the Russian side is expected to provide reasons for the delay and the problems faced during the trials to the Indian side.
The ship, rechristened INS Vikramaditya, was scheduled for commissioning into Indian Navy by December 4, this year but Russian media reports have suggested that it would now be delivered only in October 2013.
Navy officials said so far Russian officials have not communicated the extent of damage caused to the warship due to the malfunctioning of the boilers.
They said India is expected to ask the Russian side to hand over the carrier to the Indian side within the stipulated delivery schedule and carry out the required overhauls within that time frame.
Admiral Gorshkov was a Kiev class aircraft carrier which was launched in 1982 and commissioned in 1987.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested