Naxal attack: PM expresses shock; NSC meet begins
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday expressed "shock and grief" over the death of 73 paramilitary personnel in a Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada district.
The Prime Minister has expressed shock and grief over the loss of lives in a Naxal attack in Dantewada, a PMO spokesman said.
Singh spoke to Home Minister P Chidambaram and is understood to have sought details about the incident.
73 CRPF and district force personnel were killed when a large number of Naxal cadres ambushed them in the thick Mukrana forests of Dantewada by first triggering blasts and then opening indiscriminate fire.
In view of the incident, a high level National Security Council meet has begun at the Prime Minister’s residence to take stock of the situation and to decide on the future course of action.
The meeting is being attended by Home minister P Chidambaram, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister AK Anotony, National Security Advisor Shiv Shanker Menon, GK Pillai and the chief of India’s premier intelligence agency RAW.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site