Naxal attack: PM expresses shock; NSC meet begins
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday expressed "shock and grief" over the death of 73 paramilitary personnel in a Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada district.
The Prime Minister has expressed shock and grief over the loss of lives in a Naxal attack in Dantewada, a PMO spokesman said.
Singh spoke to Home Minister P Chidambaram and is understood to have sought details about the incident.
73 CRPF and district force personnel were killed when a large number of Naxal cadres ambushed them in the thick Mukrana forests of Dantewada by first triggering blasts and then opening indiscriminate fire.
In view of the incident, a high level National Security Council meet has begun at the Prime Minister’s residence to take stock of the situation and to decide on the future course of action.
The meeting is being attended by Home minister P Chidambaram, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Defence Minister AK Anotony, National Security Advisor Shiv Shanker Menon, GK Pillai and the chief of India’s premier intelligence agency RAW.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre