Naxal leader Kobad Ghandy moves Delhi HC for bail
New Delhi: Jailed Naxal leader Kobad Ghandy, who was arrested for setting up a base of banned CPI(Maoist) here on Thursday sought bail from the Delhi High Court on the ground that he has already been granted the relief by Andhra Pradesh High Court in a case.
65-year-old Ghandy, who was arrested on September 20, 2009, by Special Cell of Delhi Police, filed a copy of the bail order delivered by the AP High Court before Justice Sunil Gaur.
The court, which had earlier issued a notice to Delhi Police on the bail application of Ghandy, today deferred the hearing to May 16 after the counsel for the police said he was not prepared to argue.
Ghandy`s advocate Rebecca John placed on record the order of the AP High Court, which granted him bail in a case of killing of nine persons, including senior Congress leader Chittem Narsi Reddy, in the southern state.
Reddy and eight others were killed allegedly by Maoists in Narayanapet in Mahbubnagar district on August 15, 2005.
Ghandy has been booked by Delhi Police under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA) and IPC for offences, including impersonation, cheating and forgery.
The Naxal leader`s plea stated, "The bail application may be considered sympathetically since, besides being a senior citizen, the applicant suffers from multiple ailments, including urinary prostate problem, irritable bowel syndrome, heart problem, high blood pressure, arthritis and spondylitis for which he requires constant care and consistent medical attention, which he cannot receive in jail."
The plea also said Ghandy is lodged in Tihar jail for over three years and over 10 witnesses have already been examined. His bail plea was earlier rejected by the lower court.
Ghandy is facing trial in around 20 criminal cases in different parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof