NC MP strikes discordant note during cartoon debate
New Delhi: With almost the entire Lok Sabha showing unanimity against publishing of anti-politician cartoons in school text books, a National Conference member on Monday struck a discordant note saying politicians themselves were giving cartoonists the chance to paint them wrongly.
"We have ourselves given cartoonists the chance to make cartoons on us. Instead of criticising the cartoons, we should do some introspection. It is a reflection of what we have done and a reaction to it," Sarifuddin Shariq said during an impromptu debate on the cartoons in NCERT text books.
"Is it not a reality that when one becomes an MP or an MLA for the second time, they become richer? Their assets (submitted to Election Commission before elections) show considerable increase," asked Shariq.
He was opposed by many members who said it was not the cartoons which were being criticised, but the fact that these were being taught to "young impressionable minds" which got "poisoned" against the entire political class.
Shariq also wanted to narrate a tale of Akbar and Birbal but his voice could not be heard in the din.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video