NC MP strikes discordant note during cartoon debate
New Delhi: With almost the entire Lok Sabha showing unanimity against publishing of anti-politician cartoons in school text books, a National Conference member on Monday struck a discordant note saying politicians themselves were giving cartoonists the chance to paint them wrongly.
"We have ourselves given cartoonists the chance to make cartoons on us. Instead of criticising the cartoons, we should do some introspection. It is a reflection of what we have done and a reaction to it," Sarifuddin Shariq said during an impromptu debate on the cartoons in NCERT text books.
"Is it not a reality that when one becomes an MP or an MLA for the second time, they become richer? Their assets (submitted to Election Commission before elections) show considerable increase," asked Shariq.
He was opposed by many members who said it was not the cartoons which were being criticised, but the fact that these were being taught to "young impressionable minds" which got "poisoned" against the entire political class.
Shariq also wanted to narrate a tale of Akbar and Birbal but his voice could not be heard in the din.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata