NCP will take action if Sangma contests Prez poll
New Delhi: The NCP on Saturday indicated that it would take action against PA Sangma if he persisted with his proposal to contest the Presidential election.
"We will react if he pursues with his candidature", senior NCP leader and Union Minister Praful Patel said when asked what action was being contemplated by the party against the former Lok Sabha Speaker.
Maintaining that the party`s line was to support UPA`s nominee Pranab Mukherjee for the top constitutional post "unconditionally", Patel said, "the NCP`s stated position is that we do not subscribe to his (Sangma`s) candidature. We will react only if he files his nomination".
"Let me make it very clear that Mr Sangma does not enjoy support of the NCP. We wish that he does not contest...I don`t think he should defy the party`s direction or the line of thinking", Patel said.
"In this case, the party`s direction and the line is to support Pranab Mukherjee unconditionally", he said.
Sangma is insisting on contesting, saying that he has the support of AIADMK leader Jayalalithaa and BJD chief Naveen Patnaik. "I am in the fray as a tribal candidate, not as an NCP candidate", he had said earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal