NCP will take action if Sangma contests Prez poll
New Delhi: The NCP on Saturday indicated that it would take action against PA Sangma if he persisted with his proposal to contest the Presidential election.
"We will react if he pursues with his candidature", senior NCP leader and Union Minister Praful Patel said when asked what action was being contemplated by the party against the former Lok Sabha Speaker.
Maintaining that the party`s line was to support UPA`s nominee Pranab Mukherjee for the top constitutional post "unconditionally", Patel said, "the NCP`s stated position is that we do not subscribe to his (Sangma`s) candidature. We will react only if he files his nomination".
"Let me make it very clear that Mr Sangma does not enjoy support of the NCP. We wish that he does not contest...I don`t think he should defy the party`s direction or the line of thinking", Patel said.
"In this case, the party`s direction and the line is to support Pranab Mukherjee unconditionally", he said.
Sangma is insisting on contesting, saying that he has the support of AIADMK leader Jayalalithaa and BJD chief Naveen Patnaik. "I am in the fray as a tribal candidate, not as an NCP candidate", he had said earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?