NDRF to assist relief work in rain-hit coastal areas
Thiruvananthapuram: A special unit from the Arakkonam-based battalion of the National Disaster Response Force will arrive to help and tackle the crisis situation caused by the strong monsoon rains in the coastal areas of Kerala`s capital.
The 24-member contingent would be led by Commandant M K Verma, an Assistant Commandant, four team commanders and 18 personnel, a release from the office of Union Minister of state for Human Resource Development Shashi Tharoor, who represents the capital in the Lok Sabha, said.
The team would visit affected areas, make assessments, consult police, revenue and other officials and work out a long-term programme for relief work.
There had been a number of incidents of damage to houses and erosion of beaches due to inundation of many stretches along the coast during the past few days.
Tharoor had spoken to state Revenue Minister Adoor Prakash and District Collector K N Satheesh about the need to undertake relief measures on a war-footing.
The minister had informed Tharoor that since the central calamity fund could not be used for destruction caused by sea erosion, the state had to depend on its limited sources to tackle the situation.
Tharoor took up the issue with the Union Minister of State for Home R P N Singh, the operational chief of the National Disaster Corps and urged him to revise the list of calamities covered under the Fund to include sea erosion.
A decision was also taken to rush a unit of the NDRF to Thiruvananthapuram from the nearest Battalion of the Force, located at Arakkonam in Tamil Nadu, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo