Nehru remembered on 122nd birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation today remembered the
country`s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on his 122nd
birth anniversary with President Pratibha Patil and Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh paying homage to him.
Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Singh paid floral
tributes to Nehru at Shanti Van, his memorial on the banks of
Yamuna here, this morning as a large group of students sang
Congress President Sonia Gandhi, who was indisposed last
week, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, senior Congress
leader Motilal Vora and Union Minister of State for Urban
Development Saugata Roy were among prominent persons who paid
floral tributes at the memorial.
At the end of the 40-minute ceremony, Patil, Ansari,
Singh, Gandhi and Dikshit released tricolour balloons in the
air amid playing of bands by students.
Students sang patriotic songs and played the band as the
dignitaries paid floral tributes at Nehru`s samadhi.
Nehru was born to Motilal Nehru and Swaroop Rani on
November 14, 1889 in Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh and his
birthday is celebrated as Children`s Day in India as he was
fond of kids.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men