Nehru remembered on 122nd birth anniversary
New Delhi: The nation today remembered the
country`s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru on his 122nd
birth anniversary with President Pratibha Patil and Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh paying homage to him.
Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Singh paid floral
tributes to Nehru at Shanti Van, his memorial on the banks of
Yamuna here, this morning as a large group of students sang
Congress President Sonia Gandhi, who was indisposed last
week, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, senior Congress
leader Motilal Vora and Union Minister of State for Urban
Development Saugata Roy were among prominent persons who paid
floral tributes at the memorial.
At the end of the 40-minute ceremony, Patil, Ansari,
Singh, Gandhi and Dikshit released tricolour balloons in the
air amid playing of bands by students.
Students sang patriotic songs and played the band as the
dignitaries paid floral tributes at Nehru`s samadhi.
Nehru was born to Motilal Nehru and Swaroop Rani on
November 14, 1889 in Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh and his
birthday is celebrated as Children`s Day in India as he was
fond of kids.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Libyan forces clash with militants in Sirte, 14 dead: Official
- Rahul Gandhi reacts to NSG setback: 'How to lose a negotiation by PM Narendra Modi'
- Pope denounces Armenian `genocide` in Yerevan visit
- University of Mumbai T.Y.B.Com Semester Six (75:25) Result 2016 declared on mu.ac.in
- Poland National Championships 2016: Quarter-miler Mohd. Anas sets new national record