‘Nehru`s approach to primary education lamentable’
New Delhi: Noble laureate Amartya Sen on Monday regretted a lackadaisical approach to primary education
since Independence, and pitched for enhanced government focus
on the sector for robust economic growth.
Praising Jawaharlal Nehru for his pioneering role
for the growth of technical education in the country, Sen
said the late prime minister`s attitude for primary
education was, however, "lamentable".
He said though "Nehru had the understanding of primary
education and was committed to it, but in terms of
channelising resources, priorities or planning, there was a
big failure," he told reporters.
"His attitude to primary education was deeply
lamentable in my view but he did understood one thing, mainly
the importance of technical education," Sen said.
The focus on the sector was less than Japan and Korea
in those days, he said, adding there was a need to broad base
the education and health care sectors.
Sen said though India has many achievements in the
success of a small group of privileged people who are well
trained in higher education and specialised expertise, "yet
our educational system remains deeply unjust".
Though he refused to answer on the Lokpal issue, the
noble laureate, however, said "there was now greater
commitment on the part of the society today to have it
He also dismissed the notion that there has been a
dramatic increase in corruption related issues at present
saying the "extend of corruption has remained unchanged".
Sen was conferred a doctorate in Literature by the
National University of Education Planning and Administration
(NUEPA) at a function attended by HRD Minister Kapil Sibal.
Sibal said the government was committed to giving
access, equipment and quality as regards education to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...