Nepal has assured safety of Pashupatinath priests: Rao
Kathmandu: Indian Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao, who Tuesday wound up her two-day Nepal visit with a trip to the revered Pashupatinath temple here, said the Nepal government has reassured her protection for the two newly-appointed Indian priests there.
"The government of Nepal has assured me that they have taken all necessary measures to ensure the security and well-being of Indian priests and continuation of regular prayers at the temple," Rao told mediapersons.
"The political leaders, with whom I interacted, have conveyed their regret at the recent unfortunate incident involving the unprovoked attack on Indian priests that took place at Pashupatinath," she said.
The 5th Century shrine hit the headlines recently when its two newly-appointed Indian priests - Girish Bhatt and Raghavendra Bhatt, both of whom are from Karnataka - were assaulted by a mob, stripped and further humiliated.
Rao said that India and Nepal were bound together by religious and cultural ties and the attempt to politicise the issue was unfortunate.
The Indian government has strongly condemned the attack that came after the opposition Maoist party led the demand for the appointment of Nepali priests at Pashupatinath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician