‘Netra’ to help police track Maoists in Saranda jungle
Rourkela (Odisha): With Maoist ultras regrouping in the Saranda forest area as they used to do every winter, the security personnel this time are taking help of an unmanned aerial vehicle "Netra" to track their movements.
"Netra" would fly above the trees and take picture of the camps of ultras on the ground. The remote controlled device operated through satellite can also take accurate picture of arms being used by the the rebels, said a police officer engaged in anti-Maoist operation in the region.
Saranda forest, the second largest Sal coverage in Asia, bordering Jharkhand, was considered as the safe haven of Maoists. The ultras during every winter hold meetings and prepare strategy for their next operations, the officer said.
The CRPF personnel, special operation group (SOG) and district police are engaged in the anti-Maoist operation which coincides with the `Martyrs Week` celebration of the Maoists.
Every year, Maoists observe `martyrs week` between November 21-27.
"In fact this (anti-Maoist operation ) is not a coincidence rather a strategy which we adopted since last year to counter the Maoists in their own backyard," the officer stressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you