New governors for five states
New Delhi: Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar and Congress veteran SC Jamir were on Saturday appointed as Governors of Nagaland and Odhisa respectively.
Kumar, who was the Director of the agency from August 2008 to November 2010, is the first head of the agency to be appointed as a Governor.
62-year-old Kumar, who has worked in various positions in CBI and elite SPG, completed his doctorate from Himachal Pradesh University.
President Pranab Mukherjee also transferred Governor of Tripura DY Patil to Bihar and shifted Bihar Governor Devanand Konwar to Tripura for the remainder of their five-year terms, Rashtrapati Bhavan spoeksperson Venru Rajamony said in an official release.
Former Delhi Police Commissioner Nikhil Kumar, who was serving as Governor of Nagaland, has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Kerala for the remainder of his tenure.
Karnataka Governor HR Bhardawaj was looking after Kerala after the death of MOH Farooqui on January 26, 2012.
A 1963-batch IPS officer, 72-year-old Kumar was appointed as Governor of Nagaland on October 15, 2009.
Patil had taken over as the Governor of Tripura state on November 27, 2009.
Konwar took over as Governor of Bihar on September 26, 2009.
Four time Chief Minister of Nagaland and former Governor of Goa, Maharashtra and Gujarat, 81-year-old Jamir was appointed as Governor of Odhisa.
He succeeds 84-year-old MC Bhandare who had been appointed as Governor in August 2007 and was continuing even after his term had expired last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing