New governors for five states
New Delhi: Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar and Congress veteran SC Jamir were on Saturday appointed as Governors of Nagaland and Odhisa respectively.
Kumar, who was the Director of the agency from August 2008 to November 2010, is the first head of the agency to be appointed as a Governor.
62-year-old Kumar, who has worked in various positions in CBI and elite SPG, completed his doctorate from Himachal Pradesh University.
President Pranab Mukherjee also transferred Governor of Tripura DY Patil to Bihar and shifted Bihar Governor Devanand Konwar to Tripura for the remainder of their five-year terms, Rashtrapati Bhavan spoeksperson Venru Rajamony said in an official release.
Former Delhi Police Commissioner Nikhil Kumar, who was serving as Governor of Nagaland, has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Kerala for the remainder of his tenure.
Karnataka Governor HR Bhardawaj was looking after Kerala after the death of MOH Farooqui on January 26, 2012.
A 1963-batch IPS officer, 72-year-old Kumar was appointed as Governor of Nagaland on October 15, 2009.
Patil had taken over as the Governor of Tripura state on November 27, 2009.
Konwar took over as Governor of Bihar on September 26, 2009.
Four time Chief Minister of Nagaland and former Governor of Goa, Maharashtra and Gujarat, 81-year-old Jamir was appointed as Governor of Odhisa.
He succeeds 84-year-old MC Bhandare who had been appointed as Governor in August 2007 and was continuing even after his term had expired last year.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- France priest killer was 'Syria obsessed time-bomb'
- Bharti Airtel Q1 profit dips 31% to Rs 1,462 crore
- Popularity of ghazals increasing, says Rekha Bhardwaj
- Lok Sabha passes Bill to check benami transactions
- Activist Trupti Desai beats up man with slipper in public for refusing to marry – Watch viral video