New governors for five states
New Delhi: Former CBI Director Ashwani Kumar and Congress veteran SC Jamir were on Saturday appointed as Governors of Nagaland and Odhisa respectively.
Kumar, who was the Director of the agency from August 2008 to November 2010, is the first head of the agency to be appointed as a Governor.
62-year-old Kumar, who has worked in various positions in CBI and elite SPG, completed his doctorate from Himachal Pradesh University.
President Pranab Mukherjee also transferred Governor of Tripura DY Patil to Bihar and shifted Bihar Governor Devanand Konwar to Tripura for the remainder of their five-year terms, Rashtrapati Bhavan spoeksperson Venru Rajamony said in an official release.
Former Delhi Police Commissioner Nikhil Kumar, who was serving as Governor of Nagaland, has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Kerala for the remainder of his tenure.
Karnataka Governor HR Bhardawaj was looking after Kerala after the death of MOH Farooqui on January 26, 2012.
A 1963-batch IPS officer, 72-year-old Kumar was appointed as Governor of Nagaland on October 15, 2009.
Patil had taken over as the Governor of Tripura state on November 27, 2009.
Konwar took over as Governor of Bihar on September 26, 2009.
Four time Chief Minister of Nagaland and former Governor of Goa, Maharashtra and Gujarat, 81-year-old Jamir was appointed as Governor of Odhisa.
He succeeds 84-year-old MC Bhandare who had been appointed as Governor in August 2007 and was continuing even after his term had expired last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!