NHRC notice to centre over illegal clinical trials
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission on Thursday issued notice to the union ministry of health and family welfare over the alleged clinical drug trials on 3,479 children in the last five years in three government hospitals in Delhi.
"We have asked the secretary, health ministry, to reply in four weeks," an official said.
While in Safdarjung Hospital the drug trial was conducted on 2,056 children, Kalawati Saran Children`s Hospital conducted the tests on 1,023 children.
In Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital, 400 children underwent such tests.
"The complainant, RH Bansal, a representative of an NGO, in his petition to the NHRC, claimed that he got the information about the number of children subjected to clinical trials under RTI (an application submitted through the Right to Information Act, 2005)" said an NHRC statement.
"He also alleged that parents` approval was not taken for subjecting the children to clinical trials, which is an illegal and punishable act. The clinical drug trials also violated the human rights of innocent children," it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview