NIA denies reports on Delhi blast leads
New Delhi: Terming the probe into the September 07 Delhi High Court blasts as "delicately poised", the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday denied various news items regarding the case and appealed for an end to "speculative" reports.
In a press statement, NIA director general SC Sinha termed all such reports as "speculative".
He also appealed for "caution" as such media reports are likely to cause "an irreparable damage" to the ongoing investigation.
According to sources, barring the arrest of two class 11 students of Kishtwar, who had reportedly sent the e-mails claiming responsibility for the terror attack, the NIA denied all other reports appearing in the media related to case.
News reports had also mentioned arrest of a teenager student from Jharkhand`s Pakur district from Kolkata for sending two e-mails, threatening to carry out more attacks, including one on a shopping mall.
According to the reports, the two e-mails -- both in the name of Chotoo of the Indian Mujahideen --- were traced to the DAV school student`s home after New Delhi approached the US for assistance.
However, earlier in the day, Jammu and Kashmir Police and NIA teams arrested two more people from Kishtwar town for their links to an e-mail that claimed terror group Harkat-ul-Jehadi-Islami (HuJI) had triggered last week`s Delhi High Court blast, sources said. An official said details of the case will be shared at an appropriate time.
The police sources said that the two -- Amir Abbas Dev and Hilal Asmin alias Hafiz -- were arrested on the basis of disclosure made by two Class 11 students of the town taken into custody on Wednesday.
Police sources said that the disclosures made by the two students were being corroborated. "This is a big lead but no conclusions need to be drawn at this moment," an officer associated with the investigations said.
Inspector General of Police, Jammu zone, Dilbag Singh said: "Relevant details of the case shall be shared with the media at appropriate time officially."
He said "speculative publication/telecasts are seriously hampering the investigation of the case and are not in the national interest".
The e-mail claiming responsibility of the September 7 Delhi blast to the terrorist outfit originated from Kishtwar, 230 km from Jammu. Seven people were detained soon after the email was sent.
The e-mail warned of more attacks if 2001 parliament attack convict, Afzal Guru, now on death row, was hanged. The blast killed 14 people and injured more than 90.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof