New Delhi: The government on Wednesday handed over the probe into the Delhi High Court blast to the National Investigative Agency (NIA). The high intensity explosion earlier on Wednesday claimed the lives of at least nine people and injured more than 80 others.
Confirming the development, NIA DG SC Sinha said, “The government has handed over the investigation into the case to us. Consequently, we have constituted a 20-member team that will probe every aspect of this case.”
Giving details about the NIA team, Sinha said, “The 20-member team will be led by DIG Mukesh Singh, a J&K cadre Indian Police Service officer of 1996 batch. He will be assisted by Sri Nitish Kumar, a 1999 batch IPS officer of the J&K cadre. Kumar has in the past served as the Superintendent of Police at various terrorist-infested regions.”
“Other members of the team will include one SP, two Additional SPs, four Inspectors, several SIs and constables, who will assist in the probe,” he added.
When quizzed if any breakthrough has been achieved in the case, Sinha said, “Our teams have collected forensic samples. Some tests were conducted at the blast sites but those were inconclusive. We are conducting few more tests in the laboratory, after we get the results, only then will we be able to tell something about the nature of the blast.”
When asked if Indian Mujahideen or Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami (HuJI) were behind today’s blast, Sinha said, “It will be too premature to say anything now. But we will certainly look into the involvement of these militant organisations.”
“We are seriously looking into the claim of HuJI, which has taken responsibility for the blast,” the NIA chief told reporters.
Reacting to an e-mail reportedly sent by HuJI, Sinha said the NIA was taking the mail seriously since the organisation was also involved in the Mumbai blasts.