`Nirbheek` - Lightweight revolver for women
Kanpur: Over a year after the brutal Delhi gang-rape incident, the Indian Ordnance Factory here has come out with `Nirbheek`, a .32 bore light weight revolver designed especially for women to defend themselves from assault.
With its nomenclature inspired by `Nirbhaya`, the 500-g revolver is light and can be kept by women in their purses or handbags.`
The revolver, priced at Rs 1,22,360, will be made available from the last week of February from the Field Gun Factory here, General Manager of the factory, Abdul Hamid, said.
"After the gangrape incident, our researchers were working on a revolver which is very light and can be carried by women in their purses or small hand-bags. Generally, the weight of .32 bore revolver is 750 grammes, but Nirbheek only weighs 500 grammes," Hamid said.
The name of the revolver has been inspired by `Nirbhaya` as a mark of tribute to the December 16 victim, he said.
The factory is planning to invite a woman social activist for its launch ceremony.
Hamid said there have been ten bookings for the revolver till date, and they are receiving daily inquiries, mostly from women in this regard.
The revolver, which will be delivered in a special ornamental box on a first-come-first-serve basis, he said.
Made of titanium alloy, the revolver will also be sold to men, but the priority will be women, Hamid said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'