No bail for couple alleged to be CPI (Maoist) members
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Tuesday dismissed a
bail plea of a couple arrested for allegedly being members of
CPI (Maoist) saying the charges against them were grave.
Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sunil Chaudhary
rejected the bail applications of Gopal Mishra and his wife
Kanchan alias Anu.
The court did not allow the plea of the couple saying
they were accused of being members of a banned organisation
under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act that carried
death as the maximum penalty.
In the separate bail applications, Gopal and his wife
Kanchan contended there was no evidence to link them with
Gopal Mishra claimed his father was a veteran freedom
fighter and he was being punished for working for pro-workers
organisation like `Mazdoor Ekta Manch`.
Mishra submitted he was an MA from Jadavpur University in
Kolkata and hailed from a respectable family in Varanasi.
Kanchan, in her plea, said she had no link with CPI
(Maoist) and was working for women`s rights and ran an NGO.
Delhi Police`s Special Cell, which had arrested the
couple from a place near Shyamlal College in East Delhi on
April 26, alleged the couple were active members of CPI
(Maoist) and found in possession of a large quantity of
propaganda material, including CDs, pen drives, relating to
the banned outfit, besides cash of Rs 24,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org