No name finalised yet for President`s poll: Cong
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of growing support for Pranab Mukherjee to be the UPA nominee for the post of President, the Congress party on Saturday issued a statement saying no name has so far been finalised.
Janardan Dwivedi, head of the Congress media department and General Secretary, volunteered a brief statement which said "the process of discussions with our allies and supporting allies is on. No name has so far been finalised."
Dwivedi refused to take any questions on the statement saying that he would not go beyond what he has stated on record.
Mukherjee himself said in Kolkata that no one can become President "on his own wish" and the Congress will decide on it.
"It is decided by the party. Party nominates. No one can become President on his own wish," he told reporters in Kolkata.
There has been widespread speculation in the media that the Congress leadership has discussed Mukherjee`s name with its allies such as DMK, RLD and NCP and he appeared to be having the support of all of them.
Yesterday, the Core Group of Congress met after which party President Sonia Gandhi`s Political Secretary Ahmed Patel met Mukherjee in his office. There was no official word about what the Core Group discussed. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Gandhi also reportedly met yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now